Latest News

Sep 18, 2016

U14s Oranges Stun Bracknell With Amazing Comeback

WEFC Team (4-2-3-1):
GK: George Watkins
Defence: Harry Johnson, Stan Hamblin, Oliver Vickers (capt), Luke Johnson
Midfield: Joe Turner, James Bridges;   Nathan Mulvaney, Josef Lamberton, Christian Mohr
Attack: Matt Rogers
Subs: James Starkey
Goals:  Matt Rogers (2), Nathan Mulvaney (2), Josef Lamberton
Man-of-the-match Award: Josef Lamberton
Oranges Stun Bracknell With Amazing Comeback
An amazing comeback saw Wokingham & Emmbrook FC “Oranges”, sponsored by Wokingham Decorating Services, beat FC Bracknell 5-3 in their East Berkshire Football Alliance U14s Division 6 match on Saturday.
Oranges started slowly, and for the second week in a row were a goal down inside five minutes, when full-back Harry Johnson accidentally turned a cross into his own net. Three minutes later the Sumas found themselves 2-0 down, and had it not been for ‘keeper George Watkins making a string of impressive saves – including a penalty - the Oranges could have fallen even further behind in the first twenty minutes; as it was, Bracknell scored their third midway through the first half, and the score remained 0-3 until half time.
With Watkins off the pitch for the second half (due to an injury) and Christian Mohr taking his place between the sticks, Oranges faced an uphill struggle – three goals behind and no subs available.  But through sheer effort and teamwork they somehow managed to turn the game around.
The comeback started almost immediately after the restart, with the Wokingham boys creating chances and playing much more of the game in the Bracknell half. Eight minutes into the second half Nathan Mulvaney fired in a great cross to Matty Rogers, who tapped the ball home from short range. Three minutes later Stan Hamblin’s long clearance was latched onto by Rogers, who raced through to reduce the deficit further. Oranges continued to create chances, but it seemed as though luck was not going to be on their side, until Josef Lamberton collected Harry Johnson’s throw-in, dribbled into the box and, with a great piece of skill, created just enough space to squeeze his shot past the ‘keeper to equalise. The scores remained level until the final five minutes when Nathan Mulvaney’s hard work in midfield paid off, as he picked up a loose ball on the edge of the Bracknell box and cheekily lobbed the ‘keeper to put his team ahead.  Bracknell almost equalised a minute later when Oliver Vickers cleared off the line.  But Mulvaney got his second in the final minute, rounding the ‘keeper to score from a very tight angle.  So Wokingham came from behind, scoring two late goals for the second week in a row to take all three points.
The second half was a great display of hard graft and teamwork, typified by Mulvaney and Lamberton (pic); the latter picked up the man-of-the-match award for a skilful and determined performance on the right side of midfield, scoring his first goal for the team since signing in the summer.