Latest News

Oct 30, 2016

Oranges Return to Winning Ways

WEFC Team (4-2-3-1):
GK: Christian Mohr
Defence: Harry Johnson, Stan Hamblin, Charlie Williams, Matt Gofton
Midfield: Oliver Vickers, Joe Turner (capt); Nathan Mulvaney, Josef Lamberton, Kai Evans
Attack: James Starkey
Subs: Luke Johnson, James Bridges, George Watkins
Goals:  Kai Evans, Josef Lamberton (2), Oliver Vickers
Man-of-the-match Award: James Starkey
Oranges Return to Winning Ways
Wokingham & Emmbrook FC U14 “Oranges”, sponsored by Wokingham Decorating Services, survived a strong second-half fight-back from Camberley Town Rebels to claim all three points in their East Berkshire Football Alliance U14s Division 6 match on Saturday.
Oranges played some of their best football of the season in the first half, which they dominated for long periods.  The back four were rock solid, with Christian Mohr taking his turn in goal for the first half and making a couple of decent saves on the few occasions he was called into action. But it was at the other end where Oranges turned on the style, with some great supply from deep midfielders Oliver Vickers and Joe Turner allowing the forward players to enjoy themselves in a display of great passing at a decent tempo.  Nathan Mulvaney almost opened the scoring on 9 minutes when one-on-one with Camberley’s ‘keeper, but stroked the ball inches wide.  But on 15 minutes the opener arrived, when Joe Turner fed Kai Evans who had drifted in from the left wing to fire his side 1-0 up. Six minutes later the score was doubled when man-of-the-match James Starkey fed Josef Lamberton in the box, and a third was added on the half hour mark when the same two players combined again with the same result.
3-0 up at half time and the game was looking comfortable, but the second half was much more even, and Camberley fought their way back into the game, scoring with a good counter-attack six minutes after the restart. Oranges had plenty of chances to restore their lead, most notably 22 minutes into the half, when Starkey’s shot was parried and Mulvaney pounced on the rebound, only to shoot wide with the ‘keeper on the floor. But with ten minutes remaining Vickers was first to a loose ball in the Rebels’ box following an Evans corner, and fired home from close range. Two Camberley goals in the final ten minutes made for a nail-biting finish to the game, but in the end the points – deservedly – came back to Wokingham, a result which moves them back up to third in the table.
Man of the match was awarded to stand-in striker James Starkey whose clever and selfless passing in and around the box created chance after chance for his team mates.